Genevieve Valentine, “Sleepy Hollow Is Haunted in the Soapiest Halloween Ever" (io9)
“Half this letter is explaining that it’s a letter"….this review is GOLD
- sleepy hollow writer 1: There seems to be some confusion in certain parts of our viewership as to Katrina’s character and motives.
- sleepy hollow writer 2: really?
- shw 1: What about we show her clobbering Ichabod’s former betrothed over the head? And lie through her teeth about all of it.
- shw 2: That seems awfully on the nose.
- shw 1: Good point. Let’s make her the most unreliable narrator imaginable and let the audience decide.
- shw 2: …
- shw 1: but, but …
- shw 2: yes?
- shw 1: This might not get our point fully across. What about we show her softening up towards the headless henchman of evil who holds her captive with a teary eyed reaction shot foreboding a vast grey area of conflicting emotions. I’m on fire here.
- shw 2: hm.
- shw 1: And let’s put her in the most ungainly finery our wardrobe department can procure.
- shw 2: What has that to do with anything?
- shw 1: It sets the mood. We're dealing in sartorial subtext!
- sleepy hollow writer 3: What about ambiguity?
- shw 1: …
- shw 1: What?
- shw 2: Never mind.
I feel nothing for Hawley. Like… nothing.
I feel like they’re trying to model him after Duke from the show Haven, but failing miserably.
I totally see the Duke comparison. A resourceful scoundrel who lives on a boat and makes eyes at the strong leading lady who is destined to be involved with a loyal and gorgeous someone else.
Honestly I never cared one way or the other about Duke. Team Nathan from first five minutes of the pilot. And I feel the same about Nick. Ichabbie all the way.